Saturday, May 5, 2012

138TH Kentucky Oaks--Quotes from losing jockeys & trainers


JOHN VELAZQUEZ (Broadway’s Alibi, second) – “I think she handled the track OK but the first time over a track, she paddles a lot. She lost some momentum. The ground broke away from her. I don’t think the distance hurt her, I think the track didn’t help. She still ran a huge race.”

JAVIER CASTELLANO (Grace Hall, third) – “The track was playing for speed today. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out for me. They didn’t come back to me. I was third best today.”

GARRETT GOMEZ (Summer Applause, fourth) – “I had a really good trip and I got to save a lot of ground up until the point where I needed to go. She started disappearing in my hands a little bit and she was losing some confidence just having to sit there and wait so long. The pace wasn’t particularly fast the way everyone thought it would be and when I found us kind of going a little slow there wasn’t much we could do from the three hole in a 14-horse field. She kicked on well and she ran respectable, but it was a plus-minus kind of trip. She saved the ground but she had to wait a long time.”

JOE JOHNSON (On Fire Baby, fifth) – “She broke good, but I had to use her to get into position. She was a little rank being down in there. She just ran a little flat in the stretch and never gave me her usual kick. She pulled up great. She has a Grade 1 waiting for her.”

RAFAEL BEJARANO (Hard Not to Like, sixth) – “I didn’t have any trouble, we had a clean trip. She showed me a good kick late in the race.”

MIKE SMITH (SACRISTY, seventh) – “My trip was great. She handled the distance. She sure did, man. I was proud of her. She’s going to get better.”

JON COURT (Amie’s Dini, eighth) – “The outside post didn't help us. We weren't able to save to the ground we wanted to. It wasn't a horrible trip, but we did get fanned out pretty good turning for home."

JULIEN LEPAROUX (And Why Not, ninth) – “I didn’t have any trouble, we had a clean trip. She showed me a good kick late in the race.”

JOE TALAMO (Jemima’s Pearl, 10th) – “We had a perfect trip. She kind of hopped at the start, but other than that everything broke apart real nice. I just got outrun.”


JAMES GRAHAM (Karlovy Vary, 12th) – “I had a good trip but I didn’t have anything to finish with. She ran a good race but just couldn’t pick up with the rest of them.”

JESUS CASTANON (Yara, 13th) – “I had a good trip. I didn’t think my filly handled the track as good as she did down at Gulfstream (Park). She got a little anxious at the gate once everyone started screaming. Other than that, there’s no excuse.”

MARTIN GARCIA (Eden’s Moon, 14th) – “She ran OK. I don’t know what happened. She’s better than that. It wasn’t her day.”

TODD PLETCHER (Broadway’s Alibi, second) – “She ran great. John (Velazquez) said she struggled with the racetrack a little bit. It looked like we were going to get lucky with the rain, because she loves the slop. But it didn’t really rain enough. But she ran great.”

ANTHONY DUTROW (Grace Hall, third) – “She had a great trip. Everything went the way we wanted it to. We just were unable to catch the first two.”

BRET CALHOUN (Summer Applause, fourth) – “I thought she ran well. Garrett (Gomez)’s only complaint was he wished he got to let her go when he wanted. He had to hold her up a little bit and she was wanting to go and that’s kind of where you needed to be, seeing the results of the race, you needed to be up there. Other than that we had a great trip, just didn’t get to go when we wanted.”

ANITA CAULEY (Owner, On Fire Baby, fifth) – “She pulled up good, which is the important thing. Today just wasn’t her day.”

GAIL COX (Hard Not to Like, sixth) – “She (Hard Not to Like) got buried down on the rail and couldn’t go anywhere much. But she ran well.”

WAYNE CATALANO (Sacristy, seventh) – “I guess he (Mike Smith) rode her like Zenyatta. I didn’t think she was going to be last, maybe fourth or fifth early, but not last. She was making a nice run, a good middle move, but just had too much to do.”

RON MOQUETT (Amie’s Dini, eighth) – “She’s fine. She just took the worst of it. Jon (Court) did all he could do, but she couldn’t overcome the post (13). She’s happy, but exhausted. The distance certainly wasn’t the factor. It’s just that she ran a mile and a quarter while everyone else ran a mile and an eighth.”

AND WHY NOT (Michael Matz, ninth) – “She just didn’t run today. There’s not much more to say. The speed didn’t come back to me.

BOB BAFFERT (Jemima’s Pearl, 10th) – “She was in a good spot down the backstretch, but she didn’t kick in turning for home.”

RUSTY ARNOLD (Karlovy Vary, 12th) – “We didn’t get that bad of trip. We knew that there was a lot speed in the race. She tucked in on the first turn and looked like she was OK until midway on the backside.  That’s when she simply couldn’t keep up with the field. It was gamble for us trying her on the dirt and this one wasn’t good.

BOB BAFFERT (Eden’s Moon, 14th) – “She didn’t break well and after that she just lost interest. She didn’t run her race.”

No comments:

Post a Comment